Product Development Field Notes

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.whittierconsulting.com/fieldnotes/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Not a Brain Cell to Waste

I've been fortunate since I started my consulting practice. I've met some amazing people. I've had a lot of fun in places as diverse as Quebec, Minneapolis, Penang, Amsterdam, Orlando, San Diego and Providence, RI to name just a few. I've done well financially and I have enough people coming to me that I don't need to "sell" so much as just ask good questions of the people who come my way.

But that's not what gets me into every morning. If it were just about the fun or about the money, I wouldn't do it - there are easier ways to do both. No, the thing that gets me up every morning is my commitment to the engine of innovation, and its ability to solve problems that make peoples' lives better.

In yesterday's New York Times, Thomas Friedman wrote an article Georgia on My Mind (registration required) where he questioned the two political candidates' commitment to driving the engines of innovation. He took an American perspective on this - claiming that the United States must continue to invest in new technology development to thrive.

I take a more global perspective. I believe that we need innovation to solve many problems that don't begin or end at the borders of any particular nation: eliminating the possibility of terrorism as a tactic while addressing the root causes that foster it, finding alternative clean energy sources, solving public health issues, providing food and clean water to six billion people, bringing developing nations into the global economy, etc, etc. We are here because the engine of innovation opened up lines of communication and possibilities that we could not even imagine at the beginning of the 20th century. We have so many challenges left to solve in the 21st century.

The principles and practices of lean product development help ensure that we use the best of our knowledge to make decisions and eliminate wasted effort, reinvention, unnecessary activities, etc. so that we can solve these problems at the pace we need to solve them.

Whatever product your company makes, your shareholders, executives and customers need you to do it as well and as fast as possible. However your products contribute to the greater good (and we all do, somehow, or our products would not deliver enough value to sell), we also need your best work.

For all of us to live in peace and prosperity, we truly don't have a brain cell to waste.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home