Product Development Field Notes

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.whittierconsulting.com/fieldnotes/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

PDMA Visions Article: What is Lean about Product Development?

I have a new article out in PDMA Visions, the member magazine for the Product Development Management Association. This article surveys the landscape of lean product development. I co-authored the article with Tricia Sutton, who will also co-chair the Lean Product and Process Development Conference with me for next year.

The article includes a chart comparing different approaches to product development, including their proponents. The concept for this has its origins in my 2005 Road Trip, where I interviewed people across America and summarized my findings in the Lean Product Development Road Trip Report.

As you can imagine, Tricia and I had some long and hard discussions about whom to include in the right hand column, when it came time to name names. Not every prominent name is on the list and I'm sure I will have to field some disagreement from a few of the ones who are. Not that I mind. I'll use any excuse to have a discussion that may deepen my understanding.

What do you think about the different schools within lean product development? Which ones have you drawn from in your own lean journey?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home